Monday, August 1, 2011

Page It Forward - Part II

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about a book drive taking place near where I live called Page It Forward It's a book drive being organized by the United Way of Lake County, IL to get books to children here in Illinois who don't have access to books. According to a recent study 40% of 6 year olds in that area had never held a book or had a book read to them. I'm sure all you Mommy bloggers out there read regularly to your kids, can you imagine how different your kids would be without books? 

When we dropped off our books back then I was entered in to a raffle for a $50 gift card, and last week they called me to tell me I won.  I received the gift card over the weekend, and decided that the best way to use this free money is to Page It Forward again.  So I took the kids to Borders and had them each pick out books that they think kids their age would enjoy, and I picked a couple too. We got a total of 8 books - one of my favorite board books ever Hug by Jez Alborough a couple of Golden Books, a Dr. Seuss book, a chapter book (as this book drive is for kids up to 6th grade), and a couple more board books.  Now I just have to find the time to get back up to Lake County and drop them off.


And one last appeal to all of you.  Their goal is to collect 100,000 books by September.  I don't remember the exact date and I can't find it listed on their website. At this point they have collected about 37,494 books so obviously they have a ways to go.  I admit I'm not sure if all the sponsor donations are included in that number or if that will be tallied at the end, I think the latter is the case, but don't know for sure

At the very least I ask everyone to just go to Page It Forward Facebook page page and like the page - 1 book will be donated to a child at no cost to you. If you want to help more, sort through your kids books and drop them off at a drop box, or text a donation. All the details are on their site (check the link above).


Thank you

3 comments:

  1. Newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop. Please stop by and follow back.
    http://alittleoftheother.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cause, congrats on winning the giftcard! New follower from the friday hop, have a great weekend!

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cause! I'm in Lake County and didn't know about it but will be now spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.