Saturday, June 23, 2012

Busy & Fun Weekend

Saturday Little Reader had a birthday party at a friend's house. It was scheduled to be a 2 hour party according to the invite, but when I rang the doorbell at the pick up time, my daughter told me that they hadn't had cake yet do asked if she could stay. The birthday girl told me that they were waiting for her father to get home before they had the cake, and he wasn't supposed to get home for another half hour. So I left and told her to call me when she wanted me to pick her up. 45 minutes later, I still hadn't heard from her, so I went to go get her. Party still didn't seem to be over but a couple of the girls had left so my daughter was ok to leave.

Later that night, my husband went out to see Rock of Ages. We hadn't been to a movie in ages but our main reason for going out was our neighbor's son's CD release party, and since they weren't going to be going on until 1045 we had plenty of time to kill before then.

The movie was a lot of fun. Any fan of 80s hair bands should see it. The plot is pretty thin, just something to tie the songs together and it basically works. The main characters are unknowns (at least to me), but the supporting cast was great. As much as I think Tom Cruise is a wacko, he was great as Stacie Jaxx - an over the top washed up rock star.  Catherine Zeta-Jones was great too as the conservative wife of the LA mayor.

After the movie we cabbed it over to the bar to see the band play. There was another duo playing when we got there, who weren't very good, and we talked to our neighbors until their son went on. They played for about an hour and it was a good set. They have two guitarists, a drummer and a standup bass player. Overall they have a cool sound, old school rock, with a folk influence. We bought their EP after their set and headed home.

Sunday of course was Father's Day. The kids came in around 8 with their present for Dad - a version of this that I found on Pinterest. 
It turned out pretty cute. I had them write their own signs (well except for Little Man since he can't write yet). We also got him this wireless meat thermometer for the grill that one of his friends had told him about.

Once everyone was dressed we headed out for breakfast which we haven't done in a while, then to the pool since it was so hot. The kids had a great time splashing around and despite the heat the pool wasn't that crowded. We left mid afternoon as my husband wanted to watch the end of the US Open.

He wanted to try out his new grill thermometer so we grilled some Greek Chicken. The recipe wasn't that great but the chicken was cooked perfectly. It's a pretty cool gadget.

But the best part of the whole weekend was that Little Man FINALLY pooped on the potty (I think I already mentioned that in a previous post, but obviously I'm excited)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.