Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feeding Therapy

As I have mentioned before, my son is in feeding therapy. He turns 3 in May and will not chew his food. He has hit all other developmental milestones at the appropriate ages, but for some reason he will only eat stage 2 baby food. As my father-in-law says, if it weren't for his feeding issues, he'd be right as rain.

He has a therapist come to our house once a week to work with him one on one. He also recently started going to a weekly feeding group with other kids with the same problem. 5 kids, 3 therapists helping them build up their tolerance for different foods and textures.

People ask me about his eating on a fairly regular basis and I have to say I appreciate supportive comments but don't need unsolicited advice. The other day when I picked my daughter up at school, she asked how the feeding group had gone. I told her, and one of her teachers overheard and started asking about it. The conversation went something like this.....

Her:He's in feeding therapy?
Me: Yes, he turns 3 in May but only eats puréed baby food. He won't chew.
Her: Not even Cheerios?
Me: No, he won't chew
Her: What about teething biscuits?
Me: No, he won't chew
Her: What about rice cakes, they're really bland
Me: Flavor has nothing to do with it, he will NOT chew
Her: Huh, I've never heard of that.

Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.