Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is based on the "Neiman Marcus" recipe that went around back in the 90s. Over time I've tweaked it. I've shared the basic recipe with people in the past and were told that their cookies didn't turn out as well as mine. I'm not sure why, but this time I'm including all my little tricks. It's a time consuming process but well worth it.

Ingredients
1 cup butter (melted)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups blended oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
9 oz Nestlé chunks
9 oz semi-sweet chips (I use Ghirardelli)
9 oz milk chocolate bar chopped into chunks (I usually use Lindt, Milka or Dove)

Blend oatmeal using a hand blender. Sift through a sieve to remove any big chunks. Put in a medium sized bowl along with the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.

Chop chocolate bar into chunks. Combine in a small bowl with about 6 oz each of chocolate chips and Nestlé chunks.

In a large bowl combine sugars and melted butter. Mix well. Stir in beaten eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture a little at a time. Once batter is all mixed, add chocolate and mix well.

I usually refrigerate the batter overnight before baking the cookies but you can make them right away. Letting them sit overnight allows the butter to soak into the batter and gives it a slightly caramelized flavor.

Preheat oven to 350. Place small balls of cookie batter about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. As I am making the balls I squeeze more chocolate into the balls from what I hadn't mixed in yet.

Bake for 6 minutes. The key is to underbake these slightly so they stay soft. They shouldn't be darker coming out of the oven than going in.

These cookies can dry out quickly if not handled properly. When the cookie sheet is cool enough to touch, but cookies aren't completely cool, transfer to wire racks for about 5 minutes. The chocolate will still be a little melty. After another 5 minutes or so move then to a Tupperware container to keep them moist.



1 comment:

  1. Yum! Heather found you on blog hop and following now. These cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.