Saturday, February 4, 2012

Marathon

Earlier this week I got a reminder email that registration is now open for the Chicago Marathon. I don't consider myself a runner, but when I do exercise, I do prefer to run over other options. 3-5 miles are my standard and I have never gone significantly over 5 miles. Despite all this next year I am planning on doing the Chicago Marathon. I say "do" not "run" on purpose.

This is not a bucket list item, in fact I always swore I would never do a marathon. Too many of my friends trained for months and were injured close to race day and couldn't participate. So why am I doing this?

For my Mom. She was diagnosed with MS 6 years ago. There is no cure and while she gives herself injections 3x a week, the effects of the disease cannot be reversed. The medication merely slows the progression.

The MS Society holds a myriad of fundraising events most of the ones by me are short walks 1-3 miles. I assume that is so people afflicted by this disease can participate. However, I feel if I am going to try to do some serious fundraising I need to do more to deserve the funds. I checked out the Chicago Marathon and the MS Society is one of the fundraising partners. They don't have a training team like the Leukemia Society or some of the other non-profits, so I'm on my own for that. There is a 6 hour limit to finish the marathon. My plan is to walk but I'll need to run some parts to make it in time. When I was in high school I did the March of Dimes WalkAmerica a couple of times with some friends. I think it was 25 miles but we stopped for lunch at McDonalds and ice cream at Baskin Robbins. I know I won't be able to do that this time. I would like to do it this fall but after thinking about it realize that 2013 is a better option for me. I haven't worked out in a while and know that with my youngest still at home, sticking to the training regimen would be tough. He starts preschool in the fall 3 days a week. It'll be much easier to start working out again at that point. I figure if I start in the fall, I'll be in good shape by next spring and then the training regimen would be no problem to get me ready for fall 2013.

I also figure I should try a few real races before the big day and have heard of some cool ones through running friends - Hot Chocolate, Color Run, Home Team Charity Run, to name a few.

There isn't much I can do to help my Mom day to day since she lives in Europe, but if I can raise some serious funds for research by doing the marathon, I would feel better. A bit selfish, but at the same time, I know walking 26.2 miles won't be easy, so it's not completely selfish


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.