Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Curried Shrimp with Rice

Adapted from Real Simple magazine

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 diced bell pepper (I use red for contrast)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup white rice
kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
1/2 cup fresh basil (optional)

Directions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the garlic, peppers and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the rest of the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pan and cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in the basil. Serve over rice.

My kids usually don't like curry dishes but this one is very mild, and they loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.