Friday, October 19, 2012

Going from 2 to 3

When I was little my sister and I often asked my Mom for a little brother. She said no and when pressed for a reason she would say she only has two hands, how could she cross the street with more than 2 kids?

Fast forward 30 years, this time it was my husband trying to convince me to go from 2 to 3 kids. He's an only child, and while he had a great childhood and was able to reap the benefits of being an only child - like getting a brand new car when he was 15 (he got it for Christmas before he turned 16) he always kind of missed having other kids in the house.

So by the time we'd settled into our routine with 2 kids he started lobbying for #3. Meanwhile, I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Having 2 kids in school at the same time, having some time to myself to take care of projects around the house (or just take some time to do whatever I want to do). I used my Mom's line.

He didn't buy it. He started giving the big picture, more milestones, more college graduations, more weddings, more grandkids. The more I thought about it, I realized that yes the big stuff down the road is more important.  Come into the present, Little Man is 3 1/2 years old and brings me a lot of joy.  He's a happy little guy who really has made our family complete.  Sure there are tough days or times when I feel like one is not getting my full attention even though they deserve it, but the good ones far outnumber the tough ones.

Oh, and how do I cross the street? Holding two kids' hands and one holds another kid's hand. I call them my little ducklings, and sometimes they quack as they cross the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.