Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemade Halloween Costumes


Two years ago my oldest daughter decided she wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for Halloween.  Great.  Little Man was only 1 so too young to have much of an opinion so I got him a monkey costume from Old Navy - love those two piece fleece ones.  

Ok, then for the challenge - Little Hugger decided she wanted to be a tornado.  What??? How the hell am I going to pull that off?  I kept hoping she would change her mind, but she didn't so after a few trips to different fabric stores and phone calls to my Mom for guidance, here is our tornado.....


The fabric was something I lucked out finding at a fabric store - Hancock I think. I bent a couple of dry cleaning hangers to rest on her shoulders and hold the fabric up.  Then we tied on various farm animals, equipment and even a little barn to look like they were swept up on the tornado.  I found gray turtleneck onesie and gray tights for her to wear underneath and we messed up her hair to look more windswept.

She loved it and certainly got lots of points for originality when trick or treating. Oh and just to complete the theme, I sewed some wings on Little Man's monkey costume, so he became a flying monkey.   


5 comments:

  1. That is very original and creative! What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Once I realized she wasn't going to change her mind, I had to take on the challenge. I have to admit I'm happy with the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, that is very nice and creative, I love it. her cuteness is such a huge plus. :)
    I'll surely look forward for this year's idea.

    Feel free to check out some of the ideas I featured in my blogpost.
    Happy Halloween
    ~ Barbara
    Homemade Halloween Costumes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Luckily this year is pretty easy - a witch (store bought), a black cat (mostly black clothes, an accesory kit from Target and makeup), and a spider - which will be homemade.

      Delete
    2. Awww, that sounds great. I'll definitely check that out on Halloween. Have fun!

      Delete

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.