Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lance

I'm not much of a fan of cycling, but unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard of Lance Armstrong. Doping is unfortunately rampant in cycling, but he always managed to stay clean - or so he had us fooled us to believe.

In recent weeks detailed reports about how he "passed" various tests have come to light, and honestly it's sickening. I put passed in quotes as he didn't actually pass the tests, he just outsmarted them in all sorts of sneaky ways.

I read today that he's been stripped of all his Tour de France titles and a company that gave him millions in performance bonuses wants their money back. I don't blame them. He doesn't deserve to keep any of it. At this point I think all his sponsors have dropped him, and he's stepped down from Livestrong.

When this most recent round of allegations came out one of my friends felt that people should leave him alone, he's a good guy who's done a lot for cancer research. Yes, he helped raise lots of money but now I wonder if that was another calculated move. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the organization itself, just Lance. If he's portrayed as a cancer survivor who cares about other people, we'll see him as a guy who cares it'll make us like him and then we'll believe he's a victim whenever he's accused of doping.

Sorry Lance, your snowball of lies has melted. You're a fraud, and I feel bad for all those kids who saw you as a role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.